Early detection means early intervention, a few extra minutes spent in consultation
and examination of your patient, results in healthier patient's life.
During normal inspection, doctors might find pre-cancerous lesions such as white
patches or red patches on the mucous membrane in the oral cavity. Dentist is able
to recognize oral cancer by observing the changes in the mucous membrane lining
in the mouth.
S.P.O.T. centre would give you an opportunity to transform your dental clinic into
surveillance and detection clinics for early detection of melanoma in patients who
are at elevated risk of developing a malignant lesion. This involves you in a noble
role of service provider.
So, a S.P.O.T. Centre-
- Provides valuable service of early diagnosis and treatment for oral cancer to patients.
Cancer generates negative emotions. At S.P.O.T. Clinics the professionals are taught
to respond to this negativity. This psychosomatic effect can influence the degree
to which we are able to respond to it, live with it or get the most out of life
during its course. Counselling given at S.P.O.T. centre is one method of support
that both the individual and their family can use to ease the stress of dealing
with the cancer condition.
- Professionals are trained to understand the patients and family's feelings of frustration,
anger, guilt and grief.
Convert your clinic into S.P.O.T. centre which offers avenues both for personal
growth and therapy centre which provides an holistic approach to emotional healing
and personal development. Gain from the extensive experience in working with cancer
patients and their families as they are shocked, directionless and afraid.
SPOT Centre Benefits
As soon as you are accepted as a S.P.O.T. Centre Member, you will receive a S.P.O.T.
Centre kit. This S.P.O.T. Centre kit is a very valuable start up tool.
The S.P.O.T. centre kit contains-
S.P.O.T. Centre Training
- CD for the dentist: Value enriched with information for the dentist to start the
Oral Cancer prevention and detection at his/her clinic. The CD is information- packed
with ready to use supportive graphic and videos, so as to make it comprehensive
and easy to understand.
- CD for patients: Using simple, convincing language and images, the CD's educate
patients about early signs of cancer, advantages of prompt detection and treatment.
- Manual: Packed with information about Oral Cancer prevention and detection. This
manual is an informative guide that can readily be applied to facilitate the routine
examination by the dentist in the process of Oral Cancer Detection.
- Poster: Displays educative information about Oral Cancer facts. This prepares the
patient with information which he/she can clarify during the visit.
- Handouts: Leaflets are packed with information about the signs and symptoms, risks
and prompt thinking for behaviour change.
- Software for recording patient data:
Readily installed on the clinic’s computer. This software is easy to use and helps
keep track of relevant in-depth information about the patient. This can also be
made into an effective educational tool for the patient to show his/her report card
A specialized training would be provided to all the S.P.O.T. centre dental professionals,
to strengthen their service for cancer detection and prevention. These S.P.O.T.
trainings would be brought to you by the experts in the oral cancer field. It allows
doctors to deliver better care to patients by early detection and this greatly increases
the chances for successful treatment. Recognizing possible warning signs of cancer
and taking prompt action leads to early diagnosis. Increased awareness of possible
warning signs of cancer, among dentists is important for screening. Screening refers
to the use of simple tests across a healthy population in order to identify individuals
who have disease, but do not yet have symptoms.
Training for S.P.O.T. clinics helps in better recovery of a person with early detection.
If the institution does not have all these facilities at the time of seeking certification,
then it should give an undertaking that it will meet all the requirements within
a period of 2 years.
- For Private Clinics
- It should maintain strict sterilization and disinfection.
- Essential armamentarium
- Good pair of diagnostic instruments-mouth mirror, tongue depressor,etc.
- X ray machine/ RVG (to check for bone involvement).
- Optional (at least 1 of the optional kits should be present)
- Brush biopsy kit.
- Toluidine blue kit.
- Vizilite kit.
- For Institutions or Hospitals
- It can be a hospital or a Dental College Hospital with Radiotherapy facilities.
It should have at least 15 beds exclusively for cancer treatment.
- The institute
should have well- developed departments of Oral Medicine and Diagnosis, Oral and
Maxilofacial Surgery, Radiology, Anaesthesia, Pathology and Haematology.